The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- who poem is written about
- friend of Gray's who died at a young age
a mournful poem
what is so special about this elegy?
it is the icon for all elegy's ever written
- setting of the poem
- reflects the past, and references the good ol' days
imagined life of forefathers- how he thinks the people lived
example of simplicity of life in poem?
- dad works out in field all day, mom takes care of kids and cooks, kids help with chores
- *in the evening their all together eating
- kids greet father after longday of work
- no matter how good you are, EVERYBODY DIES
- rich vs. poor, it happens to the best of them; death is the equalizer
"the paths of glory lead but to the grave" ?
no matter how famous you are, you'll always end up dead
- latened possibilites of the people
- had they had the opportunity, the person could've been something great like a scholar, musician , ruler, etc
no matter how small or insignificant someone is, every person wants to be remembered for something big or little
far from the madding crowd?
used as a title for a book by thomas hardy
thomas gray is talking about himself and how people will view him