The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3) thought- ideas
5) song composition
6) visual/ adornment, costumes, masks, spectacle conic elements.
Dramatic action+ structure
Unities Action, time, Place.
unity of action,Main action no subplots) Place, play should cover single physical space) Time, Action of play takes 24 hours.)
Edipus is definitive ex: of formal purpose of (tragedy)Defenition : reversal/discovery.
Greece 534BCE Athen s city of Dionysus: Theatre festival. Thespis, 1st play1st actor.
Hyhms, choral odes.
Dramatic functions, ideal audience, general population of the pla, say things main charcter wont say, backround and summary.
Social functions of theatre) primary purpose of theatre)
- 1. ENTERTAINMENT = provides an escape, reinforces social values ( Wicked)
- 2. ART = challenges social question ( Laramie Project)
- Politics corcion subversion= propoganda.
SECONDARY PURPOSES ( social functions of theatre)
- 1. politics
- 2. (education) socialization
- 3. religion
- 4. subversion/ coersion
- 5. empowerment- expressing identity and voice to empower.
- 6. cultural exploration/prejudices in blind spot.
- 1. proscenium - actor directly infront of audience.
- 2. Thrust- audience on 3 sides
- 3. Arena- audience on al sides "theatre in the round"
- 4. Black Box- Nuetral black space
- 5. Found Space- site specific ( anywhere)
- 6. Environmental= actor/audience share same space.
happen in actor audience relationships