US HIS 202 Test 2 4.(Taft Era)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
William Howard Taft
1908, Republican who was virtually handpicked by TR to be his successor. He was the secretary of war for TR.
Election of 1908
- Rep: Taft
- Dem: Bryan
- This was Bryan's third attempt.
- Taft was a progressive and wins easily. Taft never really wanted to be president so much.
- He was a very big guy, loved to play gold, he intended to continue TR's policy.
- Taft is unable to negotiate as TR did.
type of republican-insurgents
- Richard Ballinger- secretary of interior
- Gifford Pinchot - Chief of the Forestry service.
- Pinchot accuses Ballinger wrongly of exploiting wilderness areas, stripping mines, etc.
- Taft eventually sides with Ballinger and Pinchot will quit.
- Pinchot wants to get TR first so that he can poison his mind about Taft.
Our foreign policy is based not necessarily what's best for us as a country, but what is best for business.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview