F. Visual Pigments
1) The light-sensitive pigment in rods is __, which breaks down into a protein, __, and __ (from __) in the presence of __.
1a) __ of __ activates an enzyme that initiates changes in the __, generating a nerve impulse.
1b) Nerve impulses travel away from the __ and are interpreted as __.
2) The light- sensitive pigments in cones are __; there are __ sets of cones, each containing a different visual pigment.
2a) The __ of light determines the __ perceived from it; each of the __ pigments is sensitive to different __ of light.
2b) The __ perceived depends upon which sets of cones the light stimulates: if all three sets are stimulated, the color is __; if none are stimulated, the color is __.
- 1) rhodopsin/ opsin/ retinal/ vitamin A/ light
- 1a) decomposition/ rhodopsin/ rod cell membrane
- 1b) retina/ vision
- 2) isodopsins/ three
- 2a) wavelength/ color/ three/ wavelengths
- 2b) color/ white/ black