Steps for Tube to Tube Aseptic Transfer.
1) Label the tube. Hold both tubes in your left hand and the loop in your right (if your right handed) with the base of the tube in the palm of the hand. Photo pg. 8 lab book.
2) Heat the loop at least 20 sec. to sterilize. Cool loop 10 sec.
3) With the right hand (palm up) remove the caps from the tubes. DO NOT SET THE CAPS DOWN ON THE TABLE AT ANY TIME.
4) Keeping the tubes at a 45degree angle, to reduce the chances that microbes can enter from the air. Place the loop first in the tube with the bacteria; touch the loop to the inside of the first tube (5 sec.) to further cool it.
5) Then pick up the sample of bacteria and transfer it to the second tube. DO NOT PUT THE LOOP DOWN OR ALLOW IT TO TOUCH ANYTHING.
6) Partially cap both test tubes (if caps are put on completely) microbes might splatter from the inoculating instrument).
7) Heat the loop ate least 20 sec. You may now put down the loop and completely cap the test tubes.