- Care for yourself in order to care for others
- Personal boundaries- provide order and security b/c they help to establish the limits of one’s behavior (based on values and beliefs)- focus on self
- Professional boundaries- define the needs of the caregiver vs. the different needs of the client- focus on the client
- DO NOT become “controlling”
- Do assist in helping and encouraging success, but do NOT ignore the client’s true needs based on our need to succeed
Personal and professional lives are to remain VERY separate
Re-evaluate the relationship with the client often
If the caregiver feel they are the ONLY one’s who can help and understand the client- CO-DEPENDENCY can occur.