Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the two parts of the Talmud?
Which rabbi complied the Mishnah and in what year?
- Rabbi Judah HaNasi (Judah the Prince)
- In 200CE
- During Roman rule of Jews
- After destruction of second Temple
What is the purpose of the Talmud?
To "fill in the gaps" of the Written Torah. It is used to provide detail and answers to questionis raised by studying the Torah.
What does the Torah say about the Tefillin and how does the Talmud help to interpret it?
- "Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them serve as a symbol on your head" (Deuteronomy 6:8)
- This text tells Jews that they must wear a Tefillin but it gives very little detail. This detail is found in the Oral Torah.
What are the 6 divisions or seders (orders) that the Mishnah is divided into?
- Seeds: agricultural matters
- Festivals: how to observe Sabbath and other festivals, prohibited work etc/
- Women: marriage, family laws, divorse, forbidden marriage
- Damages: inheritance, compensation, ownership, civil & criminal law
- Holy matters: temple, sacrifices
- Purities: how people and articles could become pure or impure, the mikveh, food purity
When was the second Temple destroyed and by whom?
When was the first Temple destroyed and by whom? What did this mark the beginning of?
- 586 BCE
- By Babylonia
- It marked the beginning of the Jewish Diaspora - Jews "scattered" around Middle East, esp Babylonia.
Name the two different Talmuds. Which is more extensive and popular and why?
- The Jerusalem Talmud and the Babylonian Talmud.
- The Babylonian Talmud is more popular and longer because rabbis in the Babylonian area (Middle East) were left in peace, whereas the rabbis in Jerusalem were being persecuted and killed.
Which rabbi wrote important commentaries on the about the Talmud?
- Rabbi Moses Maimonedes
- Lived in the 12th century
- Famously compiled the Mishnah Torah which is a further distillation of the code of Jewish Law, and has come to be regarded by some as a primary source within its own right.
In recent times many observant Jews have taken up the practice of studying a page of the Talmud each day. What is this practice called?
First 4 of the 10 Commandments is about God and his relationship to man. What are these laws know as?
The last 6 commandments out of the 10 relate to relations between the Israelite community. What are these laws known as?
Every week a portion from _____ is read out from the ______ after the Torah has been read, and this portion is called ______.
Every week a portion from Neviim is read out from the Tenakh after the Torah reading and this portion is called haftarah. (this means "after reading").
What is the weekly portion of Torah called? What is another word for a Torah portion (not necessarily weekly) read in synagogue?
- Parashiyot (weekly)
What do Jewish husbands sing to their wives on the Sabbath day? And which part of the Tenakh does it come from?
- From Ketuvim (Writings)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview