Recognize the characteristics of the “disconnected” world in which most people live. (Sect. 20)
1. It rejects simple assertions (everything is argued).
2. It resents any condemnation of personal behavior (nothing is taboo).
3. It resists all perceived intolerance as small-minded prejudice (haters vs acceptors).
4. It holds a generally negative perception of the church as antiquated, irrelevant, and a force for the status quo.
5. It is interested in God and/or spirituality, but not the control of institutional religion.
6. It views preachers suspiciously with regard to motives, knowledge, and community engagement.