Critical Thinking CH2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- actively using your intelligence, knowledge, and abilities to deal effectively with life’s situations.
- A. Getting involved instead of remaining disengaged.
- B. Taking initiative instead of waiting passively to be told what to think or do.
- C. Following through on commitments instead of giving up when you encounter difficulties.
- D. Taking responsibility instead of blaming others or events “Beyond your control.”
- E. People / experiences encourage us to think actively or passively.
Authorities (Thinking Independently)
- 1. Are they knowledgeable in the subject area.
- 2. Are they reliable?
- 3. Have they given inaccurate information?
- 4. Do other authorities disagree with them?
References (Thinking Independently)
- 1. What are the credentials of the authors?
- 2. Are there other authors who disagree?
- 3. What are the author’s reasons and evidence?
Factual evidence (Thinking Independently)
- 1. What are the source and foundation of the evidence?
- 2. Can the evidence be interpreted differently?
- 3. Does the evidence support the conclusion?
Personal Experience (Thinking Independently)
- 1. Circumstances under which the experience occurred?
- 2. Were distortions or mistakes in perception possible?
- 3. Have others had similar or conflicting experiences.
- 4. Are there other possible explanations for the experience?
Viewing situations from different perspectives
- A. For most of the important issues and problems in your life, one view point is simply not adequate for a full and satisfactory understanding.
- B. To increase and deepen your knowledge, you should seek other’s perspectives on the situations you are trying to understand.
Supporting diverse perspectives with reasons and evidence
- A. It is not enough to simply take a position on an issue or make a claim; we have to back up our views with other information that we feel support s our decision.
- B. If you are really interested in seeing all sides of an issue, than you must provide supporting reasons and evidence for not just only your views but for the views of others as well.
Discussing ideas in an organized way.
- A. Listening carefully.
- B. Supporting views with reasons and evidence.
- C. Responding to the points being made.
- D. Asking questions. E. Increasing understanding.
- A. What is the issue?
- B. What is the evidence?
- C. What are the arguments?
- D. What is the verdict?
Critical thinkers are:
- A. Open-minded
- B. Knowledgeable
- C. Mentally active
- D. Curious
- E. Independent thinkers
- F. Skilled discussants
- G. Insight
- H. Self-Aware
- I. Creative
- J. Passionate
- 1. Listening carefully to every viewpoint.
- 2. Evaluating each perspective carefully and fairly.
- 1. Opinions are based on facts and evidence.
- 2. If they lack knowledge of the subject they acknowledge it.
- 1. Take initiative, and actively use their intelligence to confront problems and meet challenges.
- 2. Do not simply respond passively to events.
- 1. Explore situations with probing questions that penetrate beneath the surface of issues.
- 2. Not satisfied with superficial explanations.
- 1. Not afraid to go against the group opinion.
- 2. Develop their well-supported beliefs through thoughtful analysis.
- 3. Do not just “Borrow” the beliefs of others or simply go along with the crowed.
- 1. Able to discuss ideas in an organized and intelligent way.
- 2. Listen carefully to opposing viewpoints and respond thoughtfully.
- 1. Are able to get to the heart of the issue or problem.
- 2. They are not distracted by details.
- 3. Are able to zero in on the excessive, seeing “the forest as well as the trees”.
- 1. Aware of their own biases.
- 2. Quick to point their own biases out.
- 3. Take their own biases into consideration.
- 1. Can break out from the established patterns of thinking.
- 2. Can approach situations from innovative directions.
- 1. Have a passion for understanding.
- 2. Always striving to see the issues and problems with more clarity.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview