The flashcards below were created by user
Fibrous root system
Reach a greater surface area
Tap Root system
good for anchoring plant. not so great for surface area.
Dominant bud at the end/on top of the stem
The space or portion of the stem that connect the leaf to the major stem of the plant
A bud that occurs between the axil of the stem and a leaf of the plant. can become mitotically active producing a new shoot
The part of the stem where leaves or new shoots originate
The part of the stem that lies between the nodes
Openings on the leafs surface that allows gases to flow in and out of it during respiration and photosynthesis
surround the stoma and control the opening and closing of the stoma based on the internal characteristics of the plant
What are the 3 organs?
Function of Stems
1. they support the structure of the shoot system
2. they transport substances between the roots and leaves
3. green stems produce food by photosynthesis
4. they act as food and water storage sites
Vascular- ploem and xylem
Function of Leaves
they produce food and have systems that regulate the respiration and photosynthesis of plants
Function of Roots
1. anchor plant into the soil
2. absorb water and minerals
3. transport water and minerals into the shoot
4. they store food for the plant
Difference between primary growth and secondary growth
primary growth is the vertical growth of the root and shoot length. The cells increase in length.
secondary growth is the growth of the diameter of the plant and the girth of the stem.
3 cell types