Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- a word that names a person, place, thing, or idea.
- Example: leader, colony, love
a word that is used in place of a noun or another pronoun. The word that a personal pronoun refers to is called an antecedent.
- a word used to express an action, a condition, or a taqte of being word (linking verbs)
- Linking verbs: an, are, be, been, being, is, was, were,
- Verbs: appear, become, sound, feel
- a word used to described (modifies) a verb/ adjetive
- often end in -ly
- how? to what extent?
- shows relationship between a noun or a pronoun and another word
- Direction, location, and time
- words used to join words or groups of words.
- Example: but, and, or for
describes/ modifies the nouns, which one? what kind? how many?
who or what the sentence is about, the subject of the sentence
the action the object does, what the subject is or does
a sentence with one independent clause and one or more dependent clauses
two simple sentences joined with a comma and a conjuction
fragment, not a complete sentece
Simple/ Independent Clause
has one independent clause and no dependent clauses. A simple sentence can be elaborate.
- is always related to another word in a sentence. It modifies the word in teh same way an adjetive or an adverb does
- The book on the bathroom floor is swollen from
- The sweet potatoes in the vegetable bin are green with mold.
- The note from Beverly confessed that she had eaten the leftover pizza.
- Freddy is stiff from yesterday's long football practice.Feeling brave, we tried the Dragon Breath Burritos at Tito's Taco Palace.
- an adjective that follows a linking verb and describes the verb's subject. The linking verb connects the predicate adjective with the subject
- The sinking of the titanic was totally disastrous.
- Her dress is blue They seem a bit tired today.
- Jane used to be shorterYou look great