Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
race is a what kind of structure?
- created and given meaning by people
when did racism start?
European colonization and settlement of the Americas during 16th and 17th century could be a big contribution
Great Chain of Being
- an idea that roots in Enlightenment
- some beings are more superior than others
- government-sponsored policy of facial segregation and discrimination
the word "ethnicity"
comes from Greek ethnos, meaning people
2 fundamental points of ethnicity
- 1. ethnicity is about people constructing a sense of social belonging
- 2. this process of belonging involved othering
the act of differentiating between "me" and "you"
assigning identity to someone or self (self-ascription)
communication that provides insight on social values, attitudes, priorities, and ways of understanding the world
subfield of human geography that studies the migration and spatial distribution of ethnic groups, ethnic interaction and networks, and the various expressions or imprints of ethnicity in the landscape.
cultural landscape that reveals or expresses aspects of the identity of an ethnic group
3 ethnic interaction
- gradual loss of the cultral traits
- melting pot
- resist pressure to assimilate and retain those traits
- tossed salad
areas with a botable concentration of members of an ethnic group
members of an ethnic group maintain their sense of shared identity even though they are residentially dispersed
4 identity crucial for development of heterolocalism
- 1. immigrant population clusters minimally after immigration
- 2. social activities in separate, nonoverlapping areas
- 3. sense of identity becasue of technology
- 4. history tied to the processes of late-20th-century globalization
3 types of ethnic settlement
- ethnic islands
- ethnic neighborhoods
a multiethic residential commercial, or mixed suburban cluster in which a single ethnic group is unlikely to forma majority of the population
find out the proportional presence of an ethnic group in a region compares to the proportional presence of that same ethnic group in the country
- of ethnic group in an area/total population of that area)/(national population
- of ethnic group/national population)
the forced removal of an ethnic group from an area
fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people
monster house debates in Vancouver
- wealthy Chinese were invited to VAncouver
- Canadians didn't like it
the study of the spatial aspects of political affairs
strong attachment to or defensive control of a place or an area
political geography exists because...
humans are territorial
supreme authority of a state over its own affairs and freedom from control by outside forces
one state's exercise of direct or indirect control over the affairs of another political society
a form of imperialism in which a state takes possession of a foreign terriroty, occupies it, and governs it
war in Afghanistan's operation name
operation enduring freedom
3 characteristics of a state
- 1. a specific terriroty with a permanent population
- 2. recognized by other state
- 3. has a government with supreme authority over its domestic and international affairs
primordial vs. imagined/constructed identity
- primordial: born into it
- imagined/constructed: concept of nation is constructed by society
- an ideology or political movement that holds that a nation has the right to form an independent or autonomous political community
- or belonging to a nation
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview