The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The most critical mechanism of evolutionary change, first decribed by Charles Darwin , refers to genetic change or changes in frequencies of certain traits in populations due to differential reproductive success between individuals.
5 facts 3 inferences of NAT SELECT
- f1Potential exponential population increase.
- f2but populations in steady state.
- f3 resource limited, esp, food,space, and mate
- f4 uniqueness of individuals within population.
- f5 most parental vriatn inhrtd by ofsprng
- inf 1 strgl 4 xstnce among indvdl ppltn.
- inf 2 dffrntl srvivl nd rprdctn =ntrl slctn
- inf 3 cntnud ovr mny genrtns = dscnt wth modfctn.(evltn)
Genetic Variation: variatn n alleles f gns, occrs bth wthin nd amng ppltns
wtht gntc vrtn, sme of the bsc mchnsms of evltnry chng cnnt oprat
3 srcs of gntc vriatn 1Mutations - changes in DNA, single mutation cn hv lrg efct. evltnry cnge bsd on acmltn mny mutatns. 2 gene flow- mvnt of gns frm 1 ppltn 2 anthr,mprtnt src of gntc vrtn 3 Sex - ntrdc nw gne cmbntns nto ppltn. gntc shuflng nthr mprtnt src of gntc vrtn
5 traits used to dfne the order prmates
- The prosimians grd 1,2 3 tarsiers with prosimian and anthrpd chrctrstcs, 4 are monkeys, grd 5 are pes.
- Strepsirrhini- wet nosee less intelligence,stronger smell,snouts elongated like dog. nocturnal, orbital bar, large ears
- Haplorhini - dry simple nose less smell, longer arms than legs, larger brain, lilfe span, 1 pffsprng lots of mtrnl care,