Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
aka lord byron
where did he inherit lord byron from?
what did his uncle leave him?
what was he born with?
- club foot
- *mom made fun of him for it
why did he have a bad attitude towards women?
his mom made fun of him for his club foot
what what different about his subject matter?
- it was more romantic
- used byronic hero in epic poems
Child Harold's Pilgrimage ?
poem that made him famous overnight
what was different about the heros in his poems?
- they were not always perfect
- had flaws
in what manner does he write?
- did not go against neoclassics *made him unique
some of his unusual quirks?
- ate saurkraut and mashed potatoes at special banquet
- was never in room when women ate
- kept a loaded gun under his bed
who did he marry?
- Anna Bellamillabanke
- *she came from a wealthy family
who did he have an affair with?
- augusta leigh
- **she is his half sister
- though incest was best
what happened when society found out about his affair with leigh?
- nobody liked byron anymore
- he left country at 28 yrs old and never comes back
who did he spend time with in italy?
shelley and keats
where did he go when he traveled the world?
exotic places like greece, molca
what did he do in greece?
- helped greeks fight for independence against turks
- *contracted a fever and died from illness
where is he considered a national hero?
where is his heart buried?
written by byron?
- she walks in beauty
- when we two parted
- childe harold's pilgrimage
she walks in beauty?
- written about Lady Jane Wilmont (his cousin in law)
- *he respected her, talks very nicely about her, appreciates her beauty and how she carries herself
when we two parted?
- about augusta leigh (half sister)
- describes how sad he was to break up with her because of the situation
an exalted, complex lyric that develops a dignified theme
childe harold's pilgrimage?
- apostrophe poem
- addresses the ocean
- **made him an overnight success
a figure of speech in which an object, abstract quality, or imaginary person is addressed directly
"I love not Man the less, but nature more"
- take the time to see the world around you
- be alone and uninterrupted to see and hear whats around you
huge wins in history
meaning of childe harold's pilgrimage?
- the wars and win are over, but the ocean is still standing
- people have no chance against the ocean
- *ocean is most powerful, strongest
- everyone obeys the ocean
what should people show to the ocean?
respect and realize its power and majesty
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview