ARC Midterm 2 pt 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
5 Architectural Concerns
- Energy conservation
- Resource Consumption
- Land Consumption
- Waste Disposal
Types of Planning In Urban Environments
- Land Use
Ethical Issues in Architecture
- Tension - Pulling apart and breakdown of molecular structure, but not very common
- Compression- pushed together so molecular structure breaks collapses.
- Bending- combination of tension (on outside) and compression (on inside)
- Shear- just like a slip/slide earthquake, but uncommon.
Ideal Structure Types
- Walls are better for compression
- Frames are better for bending
7 Steps in Constructing a Building
- 1. Prepare the site (clear forest, flatten land, etc)
- 2. Foundations (piers, underground framework)
- 3. Erect strucural system (frame, steel, masonry)
- 4. Enclosure (filling walls, add insulation, etc)
- 5. Partition Space (create rooms, separate spaces)
- 6. Add systems (wiring, plumbing, ventilation, etc)
- 7. Finishes (paneling, paint, tile, etc)
3 Main Ways to Accomodate the Sun
- Massing - orient long faces north/south, short faces east-west
- Fenestration - allow sunlight to some in on south facade
- Solar Shade - set walls or windows in relief or install awning to prevent high sun.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview