The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a particle between 1 and 100nm in size
what is a nanometre
1nm = 1 billionth of a metre
what is nanoscience
it is the study of nanoparticles
what is a nanotube
a tiny tubular stucture formed by a gaint lattice of likned carbon rings
a regular , continuous structure of atoms or ions , for example in a crystal
nanoparticles contain roughly a ..... ... atoms
nanoparticles are too .... to be seen even with the most powerful light .....
nanoparticles include ...... . these are molecules of .... , shaped like .... balls or ... tubes. the carbon atoms are arranged in ..... rings . different fullerenes contain ...... ...... of carbon atoms
a nanoparticle has very .... ... from the bul chemical that it's made from , for example fullerenes have very different ...... from big lumps of ......
- different properties
fullerenes can be joined together to form ...... -
nanotubes - teeny tiny hollow carbon tubes , a few nanometres across
many covalent bonds make carbon nanotubes .... ... . they can be used to reinforce .... in ..... ...
- very strong
- tennis rackets
fullerenes can be used in many ways they can :
- 1) be used in nanomedicine . the idea is that tiny fullerenes are absorbed more easily by the body than most particles . this means they could deliver drugs right into the cells where they are needed
- 2) be used to make lubricant coatings . these coating reduce friction a bit like ball bearings and could be used in all sorts of places from artificial joints to gears
- 3) be used to form nanoparticles
nanotubes can be used in many ways they can :
- 1) be used to make stonger , lighter building materials
- 2) be used in tiny electric circuits for computor chips as they are able to conduct electricity
nanoparticles can be used in many , they can :
- 1) be used to make sensors that detect one type of molecule and nothing else
- 2) be used in cosmetics such as sun tan cream and deodrant , the small particles do thier job but dont leave white marks on the skin
- 3) be used to help make new industrial catalyst because they have a huge surface area to volume ratio