Aseptic Technique 2
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What should the surgery room be used for?
only surgery...no exams or treatment
Should you prep the patient for surgery in the surgery room?
What should be stored in the surgery room?
minimum contents...just what is necessary for surgery...no general storage
When should the surgery room be cleaned?
before and after surgery
How should you clean the surgery room?
dust, wipe, disinfect all flat surfaces (tables, anesthesia machines, stands, etc)
Should the trashcan used in the surgery room be used anywhere else?
no, stays in the surgery room
When should the trashcan in the surgery room be cleaned?
emptied and disinfected between surgeries
Should the mop and broom we use in the surgery room be used in other places of the clinic?
Should we use a vaccum in the surgery room? Why or why not?
no, spreads out the dust
What should should be cleaned periodically (usually once a month) in the surgery room?
clean air vents, walls, ceiling, inside and outide of cabinets
How should we check for contamination in the surgery room?
routinely culture surfaces
What is the prep room?
- where the patient and surgeon are prepared for surgery
- separate room from the surgery room
Where do the surgeon and assistant scrub and gown up?
What is involved in patient prep?
induce anesthesia, clip, scrub
Can we use a vacuum in the prep room?
What is involved in preparing for surgery?
- patient prep before anesthetic induction
- set up the surgery
- induce anesthesia
- patient prep after anesthesia induction
- preparation of surgeon and assistants
- drape the patient
What should happen the day before surgery?
- history and PE
- lab tests
Why do we do the history and PE the day before surgery?
less rushed and can be more thorough
Why do we do lab tests the day before surgery?
so we can evaluate results before anesthesia and surgery
How long should we fast the patient?
8 - 12 hours before surgery
Should we do organophosphate dips before anesthesia? Why or why not?
no, may reach to drugs
If we bath the patient, do they need to be dry before surgery? Why or why not?
yes, prevents them from getting too cold
When would we need to use an enema?
GI surgery, radiology
Why do we do enemas in advance?
have a chance to clean up and allows time for the colon to go back to normal
When are antibiotics usually given before surgery?
- dental procedures
- pre-existing infection
What should be done the day of surgery?
- anything that wasn't done the day before
- brief exam
- walk dogs, remove collar
- pre-anesthetic injections
What materials should we lay out for surgery?
Describe inducing anesthesia.
- montior patient
- attach to anesthesia machine and monitoring equipment
- stabilize in maintenance phase before proceeding
When and why is it necessary to express the bladder?
- especially for abdominal surgery
- allows for more room in abdomen
- less chance of urination and contamination during surgery
What are the exceptions to expressing the bladder?
- blocked tom
What kind of clipper blade do we use to clip hair for surgery?
Why do we use lubricants in clipper?
- decreases heat
- to reduce wear on equipment
How do we clip hair?
- clip with the grain of the hair first
- clip against the grain of the hair last
What could a dull clipper blade cause?
How do we prevent thermal burns?
- lubricate often
- change blades as needed
What could cause abrasions from clipper blades?
- dull blades
- too rough, not careful
- going against grain of hair on first pass
How do we handle long hair?
- do not let long hair lie over surgical site
- clip wider than usual
- may taper edges of the clipped area
- wet long hair away from surgical site with water or alcohol
Do we clip bird feathers?
no we pluck them
What do we use for antiseptic scrub?
iodophor + detergent
How long should we scrub the patient?
3 - 5 minutes
How do we scrub patient?
- begin scrub at incision site with antiseptic scrub and gauze sponge
- start at center
- work out and away form incision site
- do not take dirty sponge over clean area
Should we use friction when scrubbing patient? Why or why not?
yes, important to contact, kill, and remove more microbes
How many times do we scrub patient alternating antiseptic scrub and alcohol?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview