Aseptic Technique 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What personnel should be in surgery?
only essential personnel (no visitors or spectators)
Should you wear jewelry during surgery? Why or why not?
- no, remove bulky or dangling earrings, bracelets, rings
- hiding place for bacteria or could be dropped in surgical site
- may wear smooth wedding band
Describe how fingernails should be during surgery?
clean, cut short, filed smooth, no nail polish
What kind of shoes should be woren in surgery?
no open shoes
Why do we wear sterile gowns in surgery?
to reduce contamination
What is the order of dressing for surgery?
- remove jewelry
- put on scrub suit
- cover shoes
- put on cap and mask
- scrub hands and arms
- put on gown
- put on gloves
When do we open the first wrap of gown packs?
What needs to be scrubbed?
- back of hands
- scrub all four sides of each
How many times do we scrub our hands and arms?
at least 3 times
How long do we scrub our hands and arms for?
at least 5 minutes
How should we hold our hands while scrubbing?
higher than elbows
Why do we hold our hands higher than elbows when scrubbing?
so contaminated water does not run from the elbows to the hands
How do we dry our hands?
- let them drip (do not shake)
- use sterile towels
- lean over so the towel does not touch anything but your hands
- dry first one hand from fingertips to elbow, then turn towel around and dry the other hand
What are we allowed to touch with our hands after scrubbing?
- gown pack
- collar of gown
- interior of gown
- interior of gloves
How do we gown?
- pick up gown by collar
- hold it up in the air and let it fall open
- put arms through sleeves
- do not let hand come through cuff
- tie gown (non-sterile assistant ties from gown from the back)
What is the job of the non-steril assistant?
- opens outer wrap fo drape and presents it to the surgeon
- places instrument pack on the stand and opens its outer wrap
What is the job of the surgeon or sterile assistant?
- opens inner wrap of drape pack
- opens drape, avoiding contamination
- places drape on patient
- opens instrument pack in order to get towel clamps out
What is a window drape?
single drape with hold cut in the middle
What is four-corner drapes?
- lay first drape cranial to incision site
- lay second drape caudal to incision site
- then lay side drape (clamp to skin with towel clamps)
- lay other side drape (clamp in place)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview