Aseptic Technique 4
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why is it important to know the procedure?
so we know what packs, supplies, and any special equipments to get out
Why is important to know the surgeon?
so we know how he likes things done and anticipate what the surgeon with need next
How are packs organized?
- order of use (lay out instruments in the order that they will be used)
- keep similar instruments together
How do you pass instruments to the surgeon?
- handle first
- curved end up
- closed ratchets
Why do we firmly place the instrument in the surgeons hand?
- so he can feel it, not drop it
- does not have to look for it or at it
How do we control blood loss?
gently dab at blood, do not wipe at the blood
Why do we not wipe at the blood?
well break off clots and causes more hemorrhages
Why do we count the gauze sponges after surgery?
- to make sure there aren't any left in the patient
- estimate volume of blood loss
What can happen if gauze sponges are left in the patient?
severe inflammatory reaction
Why do we need to estimate the volume of blood loss?
for fluid replacement therapy or blood transfusion purposes
How much blood does 1 gauze sponge hold?
10 - 15 ml per 3 inche gauze sponge
Why do we use each gauze sponge until fully saturated?
so we can estimate the blood loss
How can personnel help keep surfaces sterile?
- never turn their backs on a sterile surface
- never touch or lean over a non-sterile surface
Where should hands be during procedure?
stay above waist and below shoulder
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview