Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- process by which MULTIPLE mRNA molecules made from single pre-mRNA
- Recognition of splice sites requires RNA BINDING PROTEINS
- significant fraction (4%) of alternative splicing associates with RNA secondary structure formation.
RNA 2ndary structure definition
single-stranded RNA likely to take on secondary folds that can influences SPLICE-SITE selection
Role of RNA 2ndary structure
- these structures may last long enough to INTERFERE with or MODIFY splice-site IDentification
- 1. interfere with splicesome assembly by concealing SPLICE sites or enhancing binding sites
- 2. Promote spliceosomal assembly by MASKING SILENCER binding sites
Ability of GC content to enhance formation of secondary structures
- Higher GC content = Greater molecular stability
- if pre-mRNA structures have higher GC sequences, they are stable and will promote alternative splicing
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview