The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When were the wisdom books edited?
in the post-exilic period
When did the wisdom tradition reach its peak?
in the post-exilic period, when prophecy ceased
Seven Wisdom Books
- Psalms (counted by some)
- Song of Songs (counted by some)
Sources of wisdom in Israel
- International influenc
- Lesson passed on from generation to generation
- Formal education
- Solomon, the founder of Israel's wisdom tradition
How many wisdom books are directly attributed to Solomon?
- Song of Songs
Characteristics of Wisdom Books
- lack of focus on Israel itself
- international; universal
- sets forth rules of life and how human should behave before God
- contemplation of creation and God as Creator: creation theology
- questioning attitude about the problems of life
Literary Forms of the Wisdom Books
- Proverbs/saying (masal)
- dialogue format (Job)
- question and answer exchanges (Ecclesiastes)
- straightforward moral lessons
- comparisons, allegories, images from nature, rhetorical questions
Hb. masal means ______
saying---refers to proverbs
Proverb is ______
a sentence, usually in the indicative mood, drawn from experience
Whad does the Lady Wisdom promise to those who heed her, and what does she do to those who don't?
Lady Wisdom threatens those who do not heed her, but offers peace and security to those who obey.
What is the antithesis of Lady Wisdom?
Dame Folly, who offers stolen bread and water
Whom did the early Christians identify Wisdom with?
the eternal Son, the Word of God
To whom are the passages in Proverbs attributed?
Where else do we find the theme akin akin to that where Dame Folly appears to seduce the young searcher of Wisdom?
early Canaanite religion
Two types of proverbs in Proverbs
- pragmatic, secular, materialistic advice
- religious reflections on the role of the Lord as God of Israel
The purpose of learning proverbs
to master life