Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Who is a considered a Veteran?
Anyone who has served in uniform?
List the organizational reporting structure beginning at the bottom with the Spokane Veterans Medical Center.
- Deputy Secretary
- Veterans Health Administration
- Spokane Veterans Medical Center
Which Veterans Department provides statistical reports on Veterans?
National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics (NCVAS)
What is the Veterans Benefit Administration
- A VA organizational component that is responsible for administering the Department's programs that provide financial and other forms of assistance to Veterans, their dependents, and survivors. Major benefits include Veterans' compensation, Veterans' pension, survivors' benefits,
- rehabilitation and employment assistance, education assistance, home loan guaranties, and life insurance coverage.
What is the Veterans Health Administration?
- A VA organizational component that is responsible for coordinating and providing health care for all enrolled Veterans based upon need and service. With over 160 VA medical centers (VAMCs) nationwide, VHA manages one of the largest health care systems in the United States.
- VAMCs within a Veterans Integrated Service Network work together to
- provide efficient, accessible health care to Veterans in their areas.
- Additionally the VHA also conducts research and education, and provides
- emergency medical preparedness.
What is a VA medical center?
VA hospital facilities that provide a diverse range of health care services to Veterans.
What are VA benefits?
- Eligible services and programs offered by VA such as pensions, education assistance, housing, burial aid, life
- insurance, employment preferences and other services. VA benefits vary depending on the Veteran's service record. A Veteran, his/her spouse and dependents may be eligible for different types of benefits provided by VA.
What is the Department of Veterans Affairs?
- The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), established as an independent agency under the President by Executive Order 5398 on July 21, 1930, was elevated to Cabinet level on March 15, 1989 (Public Law No. 100-527). VA's mission is to serve America's Veterans and their families with dignity and compassion and to be their principal advocate in ensuring that they receive medical care, benefits, social support, and lasting memorials promoting the health, welfare, and dignity of all Veterans in recognition of their service to this Nation. VA comprises a Central Office, which is located in Washington, DC, and field facilities
- throughout the Nation administered by its three major line
- organizations: Veterans Health Administration, Veterans Benefits Administration, and National Cemetery Administration. Services and benefits are provided through a nationwide network of 153 hospitals, 784community-based outpatient clinics, 134 community living centers, 90 domiciliary residential rehabilitation treatment programs, 264 Vet Centers, 57 Veterans benefits regional offices, and 131 national cemeteries.
What are some of the periods of war recognized by VA? (Not complete list)
- World War I. 1917-1918
- World War II. 1941-1946
- Korean conflict. 1950-1955
- Vietnam era. 1961-1975
Persian Gulf War. 1990 - through date to be prescribed by Presidential proclamation or law.
- Iraqui Freedom?
How many veterans are there?
According to the 2009 American Community Survey (ACS) there are about 21 millions veterans living in the United States who are 17 years of age or older. 1.5 million were women.
What's the age of the majority of male veterans?
According to the 2009 American Community Survey (ACS) the majority of male veterans are 55 years of age or older.
What was the median age of male veterans in 2009?
According to the 2009 American Community Survey (ACS) it was 64.
What was the median age of female veterans in 2009?
According to the 2009 American Community Survey (ACS) it was 49.
Did a higher or lower percentage of men and women veterans live below poverty compared to non veteran men and women?
A lower % of both men and women veterans lived below100% of poverty compared to non veteran men and women.
Which Veteran Populatoins are expected to increase percentage wise between 2000 and 2036?
Minority and female veteran populations.
What departments in the VA specifically address minority and female veterans affairs?
- Center for minority veterans
- Center for female veterans
What is the National Cemetery Administration (NCA)?
- A VA organizational component that honor our Nation's Veterans with final resting places in national shrines and with lasting tributes that commemorate their service to our Nation. NCA provides interment of eligible Service members, Veterans, Reservists, National Guard members,
- and eligible family members in national cemeteries, and furnishes headstones and markers for the graves of Veterans throughout the United States and the world. Additionally, NCA administers the State Cemetery Grants Program, which provides grants to states and tribal governments
- for establishing, expanding, and improving state Veterans' cemeteries. Finally, NCA provides Presidential Memorial Certificates to Veterans' loved ones to honor the service of honorably discharged deceased servicemembers or Veterans.
Which department of Veterans Affairs oversees various organizations. What are the three major organizations that it monitors?
- VBA-Veterans Benefits Association
- VHA-Veterans Health Association
- NCA-National Cemetery Association
What is the Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISNs)?
- Veterans Integrated Service Network: Known as VISNs,
- these are organizational bodies within VA's healthcare system. There are a total of 21 VISNs which provide geographic oversight to a collection of healthcare facilities within the established jurisdictions.
What VISN is Spokane Veterans Medical Center In?
What is the name of VISN 20?
VA Northwest Health Network
What states does VISN 20 include?
- 1 county in Montana
- 1 county in California
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview