1. Overview: The entire large intestine receives the waste products of digestion & stores them until they are eliminated by the body.
2. Food waste enter large intestine in liquid form.
3. Excess water is reabsorbed into body thru walls of large intestine to help maintain body's fluid balance
4. Remaining waste forms into feces, the solid body wastes expelled thru the rectum & anus.
5. Large intestine contains billions of bacteria, most of them harmless, which help break down organic waste.
- 6. This process creates gas:
- ......a. Borborygmus: Rumbling noise caused by movement of gas in intestine.
- ......b. Flatulence (Flatus): Passage of gas out of the body thru the rectum.