The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a neuron?
A neuron is the primary function unit of the nervous system.
It allows us to sense and react to our enviroment
What do you know about cerbral spinal fluid?
- -150ml circulating at all times
- - circulates through 4 ventricles in subarachniod space
- - cushions the brain
- -clear, colorless
- -produced at same rate of absorption
What makes up the central nervous system?
brain and spinal cord
How many vertbrea do we have?
- 7 cervical
- 12 thoracic
- 5 lumbar
- 5 (fused) sacral
- 4 (fused) coccyx
What bones protect the brain?
- 14 facial bones and 8 cranial bones
- Cushioned by CSF
- protective membrane called the mennigies
What are the three layers of the mennigies?
- Dura- thick and strong most outer layer
- Arachniod- delicate (resembles a spider web houses csf, veins and arteries
- Pia matter- hugs all the folds of the brain (inner most layer)
What 3 things does a neuron do?
- Generates impulses
- Transmits impulses to other parts of the cell
- Infulences neurouns through electrochemical impulses via neuro transmitter
What are some excitory neurotransmitters?
What are some inhibitory neurotransmitters?
How much cardiac output does the brain recieve at any given time?
What is the circle of willis?
A circle of veins and arteries in the brain that can reroute blood if there is an obstruction
What is the Blood brain barrier?
- capillaries in the brain with tight junctions to feed good stuff into the brain and keep bad stuff out.
- can be altered by trama, edema, and hypoxia
- some medications can not cross the blood brain barrier
How many lobes are in the brain?
8, four on each hemisphere
What is the cerebral cortex?
made up of gray matter which is grey matter (cell bodies), and white matter (axons of neurons)
What is the frontal lobe responsible for?
higher cognitive function, thought, memory, personality, movement, voluntary motor, has Broccas area.
What does Broccas area do?
responsible for expressive / motor speech.
What is the parital lobe responsible for?
sensory, spatial: associaed with movement, orientaion, recognition, perception of stimuli
What is occicipatial lobe responsable for?
- associated with visual processing.
- Tells us what we are seeing
What is temporal lobe responsible for?
- intergation of somatic, visual, and auditory data
- gives us memories of taste, touch, sound and sight (deja vu)
- Houses wernikies area (on left)
What does wernikies area do?
speech interpitation, auditory comprehension
What are functioning units of the cerebrum?
- basal ganglia
- Limbic system
What does basal ganglia do?
- controls, facilitates learned and autonomic movements
- deep in brain base
What does the thalmus do?
relays sensory and motor inputs to the cortex
What does the hypothalmus do?
regulates endocrine and autonomic functions
What does limbic system do?
emotional behaviors, feeding self, sexual behaviors