Nutrition Ch. 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Describe the dietary principals: adequacy, balance, calorie control, moderation & variety.
- 1. Variety means eating many different foods.
- 2. Balance means consuming food from each group.
- 3. Moderations referers mostly to portion size.
- 4. Nutrient density focuses on nutrient content (calories).
- 5. Energy (KCAL) density affects calorie intake (adequacy).
What measures can be used to assess nutritional status?
- 1. Analyzing Background factors
- 2. Nutritional assesments: ABCDE's (anthropometric, biochemical, clinical, dietary, environmental)
When are Adequate Intakes (AI) established for nutrients?
Set if there is not sufficient information on human needs to set an RDA.
What are “Daily Values”?
- 1. Generic standard used on food labels – usually reflects the highest RDA (or related nutrient standard) seen in various age and gender categories for the nutrient.
- 2. Allows consumers to compare intake from a specific food to desirable (or maximum) intake levels.
Define Nutrient Density.
-characteristic used to determine its nutritional quality. -determined by comparing its protein, vitamin, or mineral content with the amount of calories it provides.
The acronym DRI stands for __________- ___________
Dietary Reference Intakes
Why were the Dietary Guidelines for American issued?
MyPyramid was designed to meet nutritional needs for the macro- and micronutrients
List the Dietary Guidelines.
- 1) Consume a variety of nutrient-dense foods and beverages within and among the basic food groups of MyPyramid.
- 2) Limit saturated and trans fats, cholesterol, added sugars, salt, and alcohol.
- 3) Emphasize plant foods, fat-free or low-fat milk products.
- 4) Maintainbody weight in a healthy range by balancing calorie intake with calorie expenditure.
- 5) Practice safe food handling
Which government agency is responsible for regulating most U.S. food labeling?
FDA; USDA & U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
The food grouping guidelines most recently released from the United States government are called ______.
The MyPyramid guidelines recommend that we be physically active for at least how many minutes most days of the week?
Two tablespoons (tbsp) of peanut butter is about the size of a _________.
The RDAs are designed to cover the needs of what percentage of the population?
According to the Dietary Guidelines, adults should consume ____ cups of milk or its equivalent each day.
The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 classified vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and herbal remedies as _______.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview