The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why evaluate performance?
To help employees fully develop their work performance. Establishes benchmarks to measure performance against.
Why do a formal evaluation?
Enables you to develop criteria & job standards that can be analyzed objectively.
Helps standardize how you & employees evaluate performance.
- Central tendency effect
- Recency factor
- Halo effect
- Personal bias
- Leniency or strictness concerns
What is effective communication?
The exchange of information, tacts, ideas & meanings.
What are the 6 components of communication?
- The sender
- The message
- The medium
- The receiver
Guidelines for email are?
Reread each message before hitting the send button. Is the message clear? Is there potential for misinterpretation?
Ask for feedback
Remember that your employees probably receive many emails a day-many of which are junk email. Don't overdo emails become junk.
Never pass along "joke" emails. Could be offensive.
Remember reply to all can include more than you may think.
If you don't want to see it in print later, don't write it and don't send it.
Positive of diverse workforce?
Avoids group think, brings new perspectives & ideas are introduced, organizational flexibility increases.
What is paralanguage?
Tone of voice, pitch, emphasis, speed, loudness & pauses.
What 2 types of Noverbal messages?
Paralanguage & Body Language
Name the 9 principles of coaching?
- Clarify your coaching role
- Engage your employees - stretch assignments
- Be a conversation partner
- Define the business result - vision for your team
- Clarity performance expectations - organizational & personal goals
- Build dynamic capbility - develop talents & skills,
- Recognize teachable moments
- Use multiple coaching media
- Provide recognition & rewards - catching people doing things right
What are the 4 basic elements of effective counseling?
What does a mentor do?
- Ally & adviser
- Acts as a sounding board
A coach does what?
Tries to improve performance/ abilities, set goals, provides advice.
What does a counselor do?
Help employees address performance problems stemming from personal circumantances.
What does a Mentor do?
- Role model
- provides opportunity for growth
Evaluations does what and is needed in local government
- Improve employee performance
- Define employee responsibilities
- Eliminate misunderstanding about job duties
- Clarify expected results
- Provide an avenue for employee development
- Provide a written record to support personnel decisions such as salary increases, promotions, layoffs, and job-related training
- Provide a record of strengths & weaknesses in employee performance
- Improve communication with employees
If I always do
What I've always done
I'll always get
What I've always got