Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is autosome mean?
Any chromosome that does not carry genes involved in determining the sex of an individual.
what is a homologous chromosomes?
In a diploid organism, chromosomes that are similar in size, shape, and gene content. Also called homologs.
what is an allele?
A particular version of a gene.
what is a karyotype?
The distinctive appearance of all of the chromosomes in an individual, including the number of chromosomes and their length and banding patterns (after staining with dyes).
what is a ploidy?
The number of complete chromosome sets present. Haploid refers to a ploidy of 1; diploid, a ploidy of 2; triploid, a ploidy of 3; and tetraploid, a ploidy of 4.
what is a polyploidy(adjective: polyploid)?
The state of having more than two full sets of chromosomes.
what is a sister chromatids?
- The paired strands of a recently replicated chromosome, which are connected at the centromere
what is a replicated chromosome?
- A chromosome that has been copied; consis of two linear structures joined at the centromere
what is a unreplicated chromosome?
- A chromosome that consists of a single copy
what is a non-sister chromatids?
- The chromosome copies in homologous chromosomes
what is a tetrad?
- Homologous chromosomes that are joined together
what is crossing over?
The exchange of segments of non-sister chromatids between a pair of homologous chromosomes that occurs during meiosis I.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview