Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are some techniques leaders may use during the directive approach to counseling?
- 1. Corrective Training
- 2. Commanding
What Field Manual covers counseling?
FM 6-22 Appendix B
What are the characteristics of effective counseling
- 1. Purpose: Clearly define the purpose of the counseling.
- 2. Flexibility: Fit the counseling style to the character of each subordinate and to the relationship desired.
- 3. Respect: View subordinates as unique, complex individuals, each with a distinct set of values, beliefs, and
- 4. Communication: Establish open, two-way communication with subordinates using spoken language, nonverbal
- actions, gestures, and body language. Effective counselors listen more than they speak.
- 5. Support: Encourage subordinates through actions while guiding them through their problems.
What are the three approaches to counseling?
- 1. Directive
- 2. Non-directive
- 3. Combined
Explain the advantages and disadvantages of Directive counseling.
- Quickest method.
- Good for people who need clear, concise direction.
- Allows counselors to actively use their experience.
- Doesn't encourage subordinates to be part of the solution.
- Tends to treat symptoms, not problems.
Explain the advantages and disadvantages of Non-Directive counseling.
- Encourages maturity.
- Encourages open communication.
- Develops personal responsibility
- More time-consuming
- Requires greatest counselor skill.
Explain the advantages and disadvantages of Combined counseling.
- Moderately quick.
- Encourages maturity.
- Encourages open communication.
- Allows counselors to actively use their experience
- May take too much time for some situations
What are the three major categories of developmental counseling?
- 1. Event counseling
- 2. Performance counseling
- 3. Professional growth counseling
What are some examples of Event counseling?
- 1. Instances of superior or substandard performance.
- 2. Reception and Integration Counseling.
- 3. Crisis Counseling
- 4. Referral Counseling
- 5. Promotion Counseling
- 6. Separation Counseling
What areas would you cover in a reception and integration counseling?
- Chain of command familiarization.
- Organizational standards.
- Security and safety issues.
- Noncommissioned officer (NCO) support channel (who is in it and how it is used).
- On- and off-duty conduct.
- Personnel/personal affairs/initial and special clothing issue.
- Organizational history, structure, and mission.
- Soldier programs within the organization, such as Soldier of the Month/Quarter/Year, and educational and training
- Off limits and danger areas.
- Functions and locations of support activities.
- On- and off-post recreational, educational, cultural, and historical opportunities.
- Foreign nation or host nation orientation.
- Other areas the individual should be aware of as determined by the leader.
What are the 4 stages of the Counseling Process?
- 1. Identify the need for counseling.
- 2. Prepare for counseling.
- 3. Conduct counseling.
- 4. Follow up.
What are the steps required to prepare for counseling?
- Select a suitable place.
- Schedule the time.
- Notify the subordinate well in advance.
- Organize information.
- Outline the counseling session components.
- Plan your counseling strategy.
- Establish the right atmosphere.
A counseling session consists of what 4 basic components?
- Opening the session.
- Discussing the issues.
- Developing the plan of action.
- Recording and closing the session.
What is counseling?
- Counseling is the process used by leaders to review with a subordinate the subordinate's demonstrated performance and
What are some counseling techniques leaders may explore during the nondirective or combined counseling
- 1. Suggesting Alternatives
- 2. Recommending
- 3. Persuading
- 4. Advising
How many human needs are there?
4 (Physical, Social, Security and Higher (Religious))
What is tact?
A keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others and to avoid offense
What is the objective of counseling?
For one person to help another
What are the 7 steps to problem solving?
- 1. ID the problem
- 2. Gather information
- 3. Develop criteria
- 4. Generate possible solutions
- 5. Analyze possible solutions
- 6. Compare possible solutions
- 7. Make and implement the decision
What is communications?
Communications is the flow or exchange of information and ideas from one person to another.
Faulty communications causes most problems. True or false?
Leaders should seek to develop and improve what three leader counseling skills?
- 1. Active Listening
- 2. Responding
- 3. Questioning
To insure that they understand the message sent to them, the receiver should send what back to the transmitter?
What are the qualities of an effective counselor?
- 1. Respect for subordinates
- 2. Self-awareness
- 3. Cultural awareness
- 4. Empathy
- 5. Credibility
In communications, your exchange of information has three important parts. What are they?
- 1. Message
- 2. Content
- 3. Context
Name some good conditions that make for good discipline
- High performance standards
- Loyalty to superiors and subordinates
- Competitive activities
- Tough training
- Open channel of communications
What course of action should a supervisor take when a subordinate has been performing below his/her usual
- 1. Counsel about substandard performance.
- 2. Attempt to define the problem with the soldier.
- 3. Afford opportunity and time to solve the problem.
- 4. Make a written statement of counseling
What are the stresses that influence behavior?
By neglecting the welfare of your Soldiers, you will probably do what?
Lose their respect and loyal cooperation
What form is used for counseling?
DA Form 4856 E
When is the directive approach in counseling most likely to be used?
- When time is short, when the LEADER knows what to do, when the counseled soldier has limited problem-solving
Is it a requirement that a leader counsel his/her subordinates?
Yes. A leader who neglects to counsel his subordinates is negligent in his performance of duty
Is performance counseling limited to bad performance?
No. Counseling may also be for good performance