The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Figure 13-7
- Exterior of San Vitale, 526-547
- -San Vitale- lots of elements more characteristic of Easternstyle Byzantine, an octagon shape, central planned church
- -Influenced by the eastern design. Exterior is very plain. Interiors were very decorated. A lot of the craftsmanship
- Figure 13-5
- Theodora and Attendants, mosaic from the south wall of the apse, San Vitale, c. 547
- -Complete change from classical naturalistic realistic
- effect-stiff, rigid, stylized abstracted period-theodora and attendants-mosaic
- Figure 13-9
- The Golden Buckle of Sutton Hoo. Anglo Saxon, seventh century
- -The golden buckle-northern invaders, Vikings 550-750 Europe
- decentralized complete fall from roman government tribes kept coming through in
- waves of invasions, broach, comes from Viking ship burial off coast of England,
- influenced Christian artist-known as animal style
- Figure 13-10
- Ornamental page from the Book of Lindisfarne (Cotton MS Nero D IV f 26v), from Northumberland, England, late seventh century
- -page from manuscript-lindisfarne- hand painted decorated
- books, manuscripts, luminations, illustrations, designs hand painted in books
- -Most important form of this painting is the form of hand painted decorated books called (illumination of manuscripts)
- Figure 13-15
- Interior of the Great Mosque at Cordoba, Spain, eight to tenth centuries
- -lots of interesting of influences in the arts. This is the interior of the great
- mosque. Tendency of the Islamic
- art is to repeat patterns ART IS VERY CRISP CLEAN AND GEOMETRIC
- Figure 13-18
- Anthemius of Tralles and Isidorus of Miletus, Hagia Sophia, Constantinople (Istnabul, Turkey) 532-537
- -hagia sofia-added minarets, call the faithful to prayer to
- pray, canters, singers call them to pray 5 times a day
- Figure 13-26
- Gislebertus, Last Judgment, from the west tympanum of Saint Lazare, Autun, France, c. 1130
- -Gislebertus-Last Judgment, tells you what happens to you
- upon your death, intended to say you be good Romanesque sculpture full of
- monsters and demons
- -Most important form of art collectively throughout Europe was in the form of architecture.
- The churches were built based on the roman designs. Churches were made
- very large to accommodate huge/large amounts of pilgrims. Romanesque-(full
- of monster and demons) architects of this style borrowed the techniques of the
- Romans. Sculpture was a part of this church. Tends to be very
- stylize. Last judgment seems to be important because it tells you what happens to you upon your death.
- It’s intended to warn people.
- Figure 13-29
- Chartres Catherdal, France c 1194-1260
- -First gothic style in
- france-chartres cathedral
- -Style that originated in france but transferred all over Europe.
- Harmony in the stained glass, height of the ceiling is one of the
- tallest in France. It is significant, whole development of the Gothic style.
- -Gothic-Pointed, achieve much greater heights, addition of stained
- glass window, inspiration to try to get light into the church.
-Difference between Romanesque and gothic huge
-Roman-round arches, very dark
- -Gothic-pointed arches, much greater heights-addition of
- stained glass windows-divine light height of ceiling very tall