Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What does the respiratory system consists of?
tubes that filter incoming air and transport it into the microscopic alveoli where gases are exchanged
The entire process of exchanging gases between the atmosphere and body cells is called __ and consists of the following: __(5)__
- 1) ventilation
- 2) gas exchange btw blood and lungs
- 3) gas transport in the bloodstream
- 4) gas exchange btw the blood and body cells
- 5) cellular respiration
The organs of the respiratory tract can be divided into two groups: the __ and the __.
- upper respiratory tract (nose, nasal cavity, sinuses, and pharynx)
- lower respiratory tract (larynx, trachea, bronchial tree, and lungs)
1) The nose, supported by __ and __, provides an entrance for air in which air is filtered by __ inside the __.
- coarse hairs
1) The nasal cavity is a space __ to the nose that is divided __ by the __.
2) __ divide the cavity into passageways that are lined with __, andhelp increase the __ available to __ and __ incoming air.
3) Particles trapped in the __ are carried to the __ by __, swallowed and carried to the __ where __ destroys any microorganisms in the mucus.
1) posterior; medially; nasal septum
2) nasal conchae; mucous membrane; surface area; warm; filter
3) mucus; pharynx; ciliary action; stomach; gastric juice
1) __ are air-filled spaces within the __, __, __, and __ bones of the skull.
2) These spaces open to the __ and are lined with __ that is continuous with that lining the __.
3) What do the sinuses do?
1) sinuses; maxillary; sphenoid; ethmoid; frontal
2) nasal cavity; mucuous membrane; nasal cavity
3) reduce the weight of the skull; serve as a resonant chamber to affect the quality of the voice
1) The pharynx is a common passageway for __ and __.
2) What does the pharynx aid in?
1) air/ food
2) in producing sounds for speech
1) The larynx is an __ in the airway superior to the __ and inferior to the __.
2) What does it help do?
3) The larynx is composed of a framework of __ and __ bound by __.
1) enlargement/ trachea; pharynx
2) keep particles from entering the trachea and also houses the vocal cords
30 muscles/ cartilage/ elastic tissue
4) Inside the larynx, two pairs of folds of muscles and connective tissue covered with __ make up the __.
a) The upper pair is the __.
b) The lower pair is the __.
c) Changing tension on the vocal cords controls __, while increasing the __ depends upon increasing the force of __ vibrating the vocal cords.
5) During swallowing, the __ and __ close off the __.
4) mucuous membrane/ vocal cords
a) false vocal cords
b) true vocal cords
c) pitch/ loudness/ air
5) false vocal cords/ epiglottis/ glottis
1) The trachea extends downward anterior to the __ and into the __, where it splits into right and left __.
2) the inner wall of the trachea is lined with __ with many __ that serve to trap incoming particles.
3) The tracheal wall is supported by __.
1) esophagus/ thoracic cavity/ bronchi
2) ciliated mucous membrane/ goblet cells
3) 20 incomplete cartilaginous rings
1) The bronchial tree consists of branched tubes leading from the __ to the __.
2) The bronchial tree begins with the __, each leading to a __.
3) The branches of the bronchial tree from th e__ are __; these further subdivide until __ give rise to __ which terminate in __.
4) It is through the thin __ of the __ that __ between the blood and air occurs.
1) trachea/ alveoli
2) two primary bronchi/ lung
3) trachea/ right and left primary bronchi/ bronchioles/ alveolar ducts/ alveoli
4) epithelial cells/ alveoli/ gas exchange
1) The right and left soft, spongy, cone-shaped lungs are separated __ by the __ and are enclosed by the __ and __.
2) The __ and __ enter each lung.
3) The __ is attached to the lung, and the __ lines the thoracic cavity; __ lubricates the __ between these two membranes.
4) The __ lung has __ lobes, the __ has __.
1) medially/ mediastinum/ diaphragm/ thoracic cage
2) bronchus/ large blood vessels
3) visceral pleura; parietal pleura; serous fluid; pleura cavit
4) right/ three/ left/ two