The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The wrongful use or maltreatment of another person
of a Violent Family
- social isolation- private family business.
- power and control by perpetrator of the familys social
- economic, and physical affairs...disobedience escalates violence
- Drug and/or alcohol abuse- affecting both victim and perpetrator
- Dysfunctional with enmeshment, unclear boundaries, and poor coping
- Intergenerational transmission process
- The intergenerational transmission process shows that patterns of violence are passed from one generation to the next- via role modeling an social learning.
- 1/3rd of abusive men came from abusive homes.
- If a women grew up in an abusive home- they are 50% more likely to expect this as normal.
The abuse of a person in the context of an intimate relationship
abuse or emotional abuse
- name calling, belittling, screaming, yelling, destroying property, ignoring them, or
- refusing to speak to them, and making threats
hitting choking, shoving, pushing---may be severe enough to cause death.
- One in three women in the
- United States have been victims at some time in their lives
- us many as 5.3 million women
- are affected yearly
- 90-95 % of victims are
- Accounts for 3 out of 10
- murders of women
- Eight percent of U.S.
- homicides are due to spouses murdering each other
uBattered immigrant women
- uPregnancy and postpartum worsens the abuse with 15-25% (324,000
- yearly) incidence and pregnant teens reporting 37% incidence
- Same sex violence occurs
- less frequently and is less likely to be reported due to stigma, discovery by
- family and peers, and sodomy laws. Affects up to 550,000 per year
of an Abusive Husband
Considers wife as his property
Sense of inadequacy
Poor problem solving
- Jealous and possessive
- Bullies the entire family
Uses violence as a way to boost esteem
He is often a “failure” in other areas
of an Abused Wife
dependency—personal, social, economic
“Unable to function” without husband
Low self esteem
- “Make it work” regardless
- Blame themselves
- Fearful of being killed (statistics show women leaving or that
- have left often murdered)
- dependency is the most common trait found
- among women
Cycle of Violence
- Period of remorse or
- contrition—the “honeymoon period”.
- Cycle shortens, especially
- the period of remorse, violence and injuries escalate.
- –Female becomes
- nurturing, compliant, and wants to “stay out of his way”