astronomy chapter 6
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
the central core of an atom containing protons and neutrons, carries a net positive charge.
a positively charged atomic particle contained in the nucleus of an atom. The nucleus of a hydrogen atom
an atomic particle with no charge and about the same mass as a proton
low-mass atomic particle carrying a negative charge
an atom that has the same number of protons but a different number of neutrons
the condition of an atom that has lost of gained one or more electrons
an atom that has lost or gained one or more electrons
two or more atoms bonded together
the energy needed to pull and electron away from its atom
the study of the behaviour of atoms and atomic particles
an atom in which an electron has moved from a lower to higher energy level
the energy of the movement among the atoms and molecules of an object
black body radiation
- radiation emitted by a hypothetical perfect radiator.
- the spectrum is continuous
- the wavelength is maximum emmision depends on the body's temperature
- a unit of energy equilavent to a force of 1 newton acting over a distance of 1 meter.
- on joule per second equals one watt of power
a spectrum in which there are no absorption or emission lines
a spectrum that contains absorption lines caused by photons being absorbed by atoms or molecules
a bright line in a spectrum containing emission lines
- a dark line in a spectrum
- is produced by the absense of photons absorbed by atoms or molecules
spectral star class
- a stars position in the temperature classifications
- O, B, A, F, G, K, or M
- is based on the appearence of the stars spectrum
the change in the wavelength of radiation due to the relative radial motion of source and observer
a doppler shit toward shorter wavelengths caused by velocity of approach
a doppler shift twoard longer wavelength caused by a velocity of recession
radial velocity (V)
a component of an object's velocity directed away from or towards earth
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview