The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is the spinal tap commonly referred to as?
where is the needle inserted between for a spinal tap?
- between 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th lumbar vertebrae(2-5)
- -needle inserted into the subarachnoid space
why is the needle for a spinal tap inserted into the subarachnoid space?
- -below main part of spinal cord->therefore less danger of damage
- -cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) has moved through entire CNS
what are the purposes of a spinal tap?
- a. remove CSF for diagnostic purposes
- b.introduce medication or radiopaque dyes for special examinations
- c.relieve intracranial pressure
- d. administer anesthesia
what are the 2 ways to check for tumors in brain?
what is ventriculography and what does it involve??
- a. x-ray process for localization of verebral tumors
- b.involves injection of air into verebral ventricles
what is encephalography and what does it involve?
- a.x-ray examination of head
- b. follows injection of air into subarachnoid space
what is cerebral angiography?
- 1. radiopaque media injected into carotid or vertebral arteries
- 2. x-ray made of vascularization
what is CT scans
what is MRI
magnetic resonance imaging
What is PET scans
positron emission tomography