Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Shruti and Smirti
- Aryanyakas. Puranas
- Upanishads. Tantras
Vedas ( 4 collections)
Bodies of knowledge:
RigVeda: praise and prayers to a duty or several duties
SamaVeda: rhythmic chants borrowed from the RigVeda.
YajurVeda: versus from the rigVeda, many prose passages dealing with sacrifice rituals.
ArthaVeda: special class of texts, deals with charms, magical spells, incantations, and kindly duties
- Voluminous bodies of writings, describing detail ritual observances and sacrifices and discuses the mystical meaning of various rites.
- Each Veda is supplemented by its own Brahamas.
- Forest book which supplement the Brahamas.
- For religious aesthete that choose to retire to isolation in the forest.
- Concerned with the innermost nature of humankind and the universe.
- Large group of writings attached to the book of the Aryanyakas.
- Contains the basic philosophical framework of Hinduism.
What is remembered-
- Recounts the story of Rama, a prince that was exiled to the forest for 14 years.
- Rama's wife Sita, was abducted by a demon and with the aid of his friend Hanuman, Sita is restored to her husband.
- Rama and Sita are considered the ideal couple in Hinduism.
- Collection of ancient lore, mythological data on the genealogy of gods, sages, and kings, and descriptions of creation, destruction, and re-creation of the universe.
- Accessible to everyone, including women.
Tentrism is the belief in the search for spiritual power and ultimate release from the cycle of rebirth by the repetition of mantras and other esoteric rites.
- Longer than Ramayana, more than half of it deals with politics, laws, religion and other topics.
- In Honduism, one of two great epics featuring the activities of the God Krishna.
- The Code of Manu.
- Manu is considered the father of humankind,like Adam for most religions, and also of social and moral order.
- The text include marriage laws, dietary regulations, duties of each caste, civil and criminal laws and daily rites and sacrifices.