Other members of polices agencies and high ranking officials
Althought the protection of the crime scene is the responsibility of the first officer, all officers responding to and arriving at the scene have ___________ responsibility in this duty.
The first or primary scene is ___________. The second or secure area crime scene is an area _______.
Where the actual event occurred.
Set aside from the general public of dignitaries and high ranking guests (security zone)
A conscious criminal action on the part of an offender to thwart an invetigation
The facts are vague or misleading, or the death is suspicious or questionable based on what is presented to the authorities; open to interpretation; two or more meanings and the case may present as either a homicide or a suicide
Equivocal Death Investigations
Types of Staging
Perpetrator changes elements of the scene to make the death appear to be a suicide or an accident
Perpetrator attempts to redirect the investigation by making the crime appear to be a sex-related homicide
Arson--to destroy evidence or make the death appear to be the result of an accidental fire
1. assess victimology of deceased
2. evaluate type of injuries and wounds of the victim in connection with type of weapon employed
3. conduct nec. fors. examinations to estab. and ascertain the facts of the case
4. examine weapon for evidence
5. evaluate behavior of the victim and suspect
6. estab profile of victim through interviews of fam and friends
7. reconstruct and evaluate the event
8. compare invetigative findings with autopsy and confer with Med. Examnr
9. corroborate states with evidential facts
10. conduct and process all death investigations as if they were homicide cases