Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- -beings who are well advanced on the path to buddhahood (enlightment)
- -distinguished in art by his pricely garments, unlike a budha who wears a monks robe
- -specifically recognized by the lotus flower
- -third eye-symbolizing the ability to to see in miraculous ways
- -wheel in palm- signifying the ability to teach the buddhist truth
- -spiritual purity
- -budhist archetecture
- -bell shaped or pyramidal religious monument
- -made of piled earth or stone and containing sacred relics
a funarary monument commemorating an individual or group buried elsewhere
- a decorative pavilion with an umbrella shaped dome
- -indian archetecture
- a knoblike architectural decoration usually found at the top point of a spire, pinnacle, canopy, or gable
- -also found on furniture
- italian for "hard stone"
- -ornamental designs such as flowers or fruit
a large vaulted chamber in a mosque with a monumental arched opening on one side
to cut off the edge or corner of wood block or other material
- the data placed at the end of a book listing the books author, publisher, illuminator, and other information relating to its production
- -in east asia handscrolls
- personal emblems usually carved of stone in intaglio or relief and used to stamp a name or legnd onto paper or silk
- -adds another layer of interest.
- -red symbols on the hand scrolls
- a method of joining two elements. A projecting pin on one element fits snugly into a hole designed for it on the other.
- -very strong and flexible
a standing japanese screen covered in translucent rice paper and used in interiors
mats of woven straw used in japanese houses as a floor covering
a unit of space defined by architectural elements such as columns, piers and walls
- a type of hard, glossy surface varnish used on objects in east asian cultures
- - can be layered and manipulated or combined with pigments and other materials for various decorative effects
a japenese term for a type of popular art particularly in the form of color woodblock prints
- colored woodblock print
- - key block is a flat piece of wood with the entire design carved or drawn on its surface
the multicolored painted decoration applied to any part of a building, sculpture or piece of furniture
a multicolored and ornate japenese role
Small cylindrical beads made from polished shells and fashioned into strings or belts, formerly used by certain Native American peoples as currency and jewelry or for ceremonial exchanges between groups.
string bag made from hand
A Bisj or Bis pole is a ritual artifact created and used by the Asmat people of south-western New Guinea up to the present day[when?]. Bisj poles can be erected as an act of revenge, to pay homage to the ancestors, to calm the spirits of the deceased and to bring harmony and spiritual strength to the community.
Pukao are the hats or topknots formerly placed on top of some moai statues on Easter Island. They were all carved from a very light red volcanic stone scoria, which was quarried from a single source at Puna Pau.
a spirit or deity that reflects one of the manifestations of Olodumare (God) in the Yoruba spiritual or religious system. (Olodumare is also known by various other names including Olorun, Eledumare, Eleda and Olofin-Orun). This religion has found its way throughout the world
a type of silk and cotton fabric made of interwoven cloth strips and is native to theAkan people of Ghana and the Ivory Coast.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview