Physical Health Exam and Assessment
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Of this list which one is not an examples of subjective data.
Earache or pain
Date of last hearing exam
Light refelx at 5o in the right ear
Light refelx at 5o in the right ear - is observerved measurable data
When looking in the left inner ear with an otto scope at what position will the light reflex be?
The light reflex will be at 7o
What things should you note when assessing the ear?
- •Size shape & placement
- •Condition of skin
- •Move pinna & push on tragus
- •Palpate the mastoid process
- •Note the size of the external auditory
- meatus to determine size of ear speculum, discharge & presence of cerumen
To view the interior ear of an adult you pull the penna of the ear down and back. T or F
Otoscopic View of Ear for a do you child pull the penna pinna up & back pull pinna straight down?
- Pull adult pinna up & back;
- youngchildren (< 3 y/o) pull pinna straight down
What land marks should you look for when observing the inner ear?
- Light reflex cone of light – 5 o’clock in the right drum
- 7 o’clock in the left drum
- Look for redness or fluid
- Perforations frequently occur along theannulus
- Scars (look like white patches)
What type of objective data would you describe when observing the inner ear.
- Describe the drum color.
- Note the cone of light (what ear is this?)
- Check along the entire drum for holes or perforations.
What must be intact for hearing to take place?
An intact ear and nervious system.
What dose the voice whisper test AAWAA DOE for?
How is the voice whisper test done?
Assess for high freq sound, detect high tone hearing loss
1 finger on tragus (one ear at a time) proculding hearing - move out of line of sight - whisper 3 numbers or letters for familary words, client should be able repeat correctlyl - if not repeat a different series should be able to score 3 out of 6 for a passing score
The weber teast assess for what?
How would you know if the test were negative?
- Conductive or Sensiorneurla loss
- If it lateralized to one ear rather than being equal Bi-Lateral
The Rinne test is used to verify Air conduction and Bone conduction which path is more efficent?
Conductive hearing loss
This test is assessing for what type of hearing loss?
Hearing involves the auditory system three levels of hearing list them.
- Cerebral Cortes.
The Peripheral transmits sound and converts vibration in to _________ to be analyed by the __________?
Electrical impulses - The brain
Amplitude referes to what?
Frequency referes to what?
- Amplitued is how loud something is
- Frequency is the Pitch
What crainial nerve controlls hearing?
Romberg test assess what for what?
Vestibular apparatus (canals from outter to inner ear), cerebellum (part of the brain resp for balance) & proprioception (equalibrum)
Sample of documentation - PT denies haring loss, tinnitus, pain or dizziness. Symmetrically placed aligned with both eyes. Able to hear whisperd words, accuratley AB> BC not lateralization of sound during Weber's test. No canal drainage, Tympanic membranes pearly grey & Clear with light reflexes at 5 (R) and & (L) No perforation noted along the annulus of either drum.
This is just for review purposes
Health promotions for the ear should include which of the following.
Cerumen is normal and protects the ears.
Use QT's to remove impacted ear wax.
Loud noises exposure are major contributers to hearing loss
Eat a balanced diet
- ---DO NOT USE QT'S EVER---
- THIS IS JUST FOR YOU TO REVIEW
- •Cerumen protects the ear—only needs to be removed if it becomes impacted and impairs hearing (see the doctor for this issue)
- •Over the counter ear drops with a bulb syringe are available for home use
- •Never stick anything larger than a football in your ear
- •Loud noises music exposure especially car stereos, concerts and earphones or loud machines are a major contributor to early hearing loss
- •Avoid exposure to loud noises or reverberations
- •Wear ear protection when exposed to loud noises
- •Seek treatment for otitis media, recurrent sinusitis
- •Eat a varied well blanced diets
- •Evaluate any sudden hearing loss, dizziness or tinnitus as soon as possible
- •Avoid medications associated with ototoxicity if possible
- •As a health care provider, verify that you have a positive rubella titter
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview