pregnant women, neonates, immunocompromised patients
- small gram + rods, growth at 1 C to 45 C (can grow in cold food), motile at 25 C-actin jet motility in cells, facultative intracellular pathogen, cell to cell spread
- ingestion of contaminated food, transplacentally or during delivery
- found in unpasteurized milk products, soft cheeses, deli meats, hotdogs
- When pregnant women get infected they become septic --> bacteria crosses the placenta and lead to granulomatosis infantisepticum (sepsis w/ high mortality; disseminated granulomas w/ central necrosis).
- meningitis w/ septicemia occurs after birth.
- Culure on bood agar, CSF: high protein, low glucose, neutrophils
- Rx: Ampicillin + gentamicin