Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Provide preventive control only to aircraft operatiing in accordance with?
with a letter of agreement.
Preventive control eliminates?
routine approval of pilot action is eliminated.
Who has primary responsibility for operations on the active runway?
Ground control must obtain ______ before authorizing an _____ or a _____ to cross an active runway.
Clearances for aircraft or vehicles to proceed on or along active runways shall be broadcast on whose frequency?
Coordination between local and ground is ______ for the ____ and _____ of runways and movement areas.
How may coordination between local and ground be accomplished?
via verbal means, flight progress strips,other written information, or automation displays.
Ensure that the runway to be used is free of all known vehicles, equipment, and personnel before a departing aircraft _____ or a landing aircraft ______.
starts takeoff or a landing aircraft crosses the runway threshold.
(True/False) A certified tower display may be used to issue radar traffic advisories.
An aircraft's position must be determined prior to issuing...
taxi instructions or takeoff clearance.
At locations equipped with LLWAS, the local controller shall provide wind information as follows...
- (a) If an alert is received, issue the airportwind and the displayed field boundary wind.
- (b) If multiple alerts are received, issue anadvisory that there are wind shear alerts intwo/several/all quadrants.
What may a certified tower display be used for?
- 1. To determine an aircraft’s identification,exact location, or spatial relationship to other aircraft.
- 2. To provide aircraft with radar traffic advisories.
- 3. To provide a direction or suggested headings to VFR aircraft as a method for radar identification oras an advisory aid to navigation.
- 4. To provide information and instructions toaircraft operating within the surface area for whichthe tower has responsibility.
What is the phraseology to inform an aircraft that its landing gear is up?
landing gear APPEARS to be up
Do not approve a speed in excess of ___ unless a pilot states a ____ is required.
- 250 knots
- higher minimum speed is required.
Who is responsible for scanning active runways?
What phraseology is used to inform pilots that workload or traffic conditions prevent the immediate provision of class d services?
(A/c call sign) REMAIN OUTSIDE DELTA AIRSPACE AND STANDBY.
Steady green on the ground means...
Cleared for takeoff
Flashing red in the air means...
Give way to other aircraft and continue circling
Flashing white on the ground means...
Return to starting point on airport
What will a pilot do while in flight to make controllers aware he is "receiver only"?
a. Between sunrise and sunset?
b. Between sunset and sunrise?
1. Between sunrise and sunset:(a) Move ailerons or rudders while on theground.(b) Rock wings while in flight.
2. Between sunset and sunrise: Flash navigationor landing lights.
(True/False) The general warning signal is prohibitive.
What three situations require the general warning signal?
- a. Aircraft are converging and a collision hazard exists.
- b. Mechanical trouble exists of which the pilot might not be aware.
- c. Other hazardous conditions are present whichcall for intensified pilot or operator alertness. These conditions may include obstructions, soft field, ice onthe runway, etc.
Who can legally close a runway?
Legally, only the airport management/military operationsoffice can close a runway.
If a pilot requests to takeoff, land, or touch&go on a closed runway, inform the pilot...
the runway is closed or unsafe,
If a pilot persists in his request to use a closed runway, quote him the....
the appropriate parts of the NOTAMapplying to the runway and inform him/her that aclearance cannot be issued.
If the pilot insist and in your opinion the operation would not adversely affect other traffic, inform him...
inform him/her that the operation will be athis/her own risk
PHRASEOLOGY−RUNWAY (runway number) CLOSED/UNSAFE.If appropriate, (quote NOTAM information),UNABLE TO ISSUE DEPARTURE/LANDING/TOUCH−AND−GO CLEARANCE.DEPARTURE/LANDING/TOUCH−AND−GO WILL BEAT YOUR OWN RISK.
Use the following terms to descrive braking action...
“good,” “fair,” “poor,” “nil,” or a combinationof these terms.
When should the phrase "braking action advisories are in effect" be recorded on the ATIS?
fair,” “poor,” or “nil”
The calm wind runway is used when...
when less than 5 knots
When authorizing use of runways and a tailwind exists, always state...
always state both wind directionand velocity.
Descrive the wind as calm when...
the wind velocity is less than three knots.
Do not use the word "cleared" in conjunction with taxi authorization. Use ...
Use the prefix “taxi,”“proceed,” or “hold,” as appropriate,
Who may initiate an intersection departure?
What does "taxi to" authorizes and aircraft to do?
cross all taxiways
When is a readback of runway hold short instructions required?
When should progressive taxi instructions be issued?
- 1. A pilot/operator requests.
- 2. The specialist deems it necessary due to traffic or field conditions, e.g., construction or closed taxiways.
- 3. Necessary during reduced visibility, especially when the taxi route is not visible from the tower.
What is the phraseology to expedite an aircraft's taxi?
- TAXI WITHOUT DELAY (traffic if necessary).
- EXIT/PROCEED/CROSS(runway/taxiway) WITHOUT DELAY.
Describe "hover taxi"
proceed at a slow speed above thesurface, normally below 20 knots and in groundeffect,
Describe "air taxi"
normally below 100 feet AGL and at airspeeds above20 knots
Gate hold procedures will be in effect when ever delays exceed or are anticipated to exceed...
Pilot should monitor ____ frequency for engine starts.
When may departure information be omitted?
pilot states the appropriate ATIS code.
If the pilot states "have numbers", what information does he have?
Runway, wind, and altimeter
What is the phraseology to advise departing aircraft the time at which the pilot can expect to receive engine start advisory?
GATE HOLD PROCEDURES ARE IN EFFECT. ALL AIRCRAFT CONTACT (position) ON (frequency) FOR ENGINE START TIME. EXPECT ENGINE START/TAXI(time).
Instruct cargo/transport type aircraft to contact departure when...
When the aircraft is about 1/2 mile beyond the runway end,
Inform all IFR military turbojet/turboprop aircraft to contact departure...
prior to take off
What is the phraseology to taxi an aircraft onto the runway for imminent departure?
RUNWAY (number), LINE UP AND WAIT.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview