The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Vapor Pressure Increases as
strongest to weakest bonds
- H bond
- ion-induced dipole
- dipole-induced dipole
- dispersion (London)
polarizability -------- down a group
- size increases and the larger electron clouds are further from the nucleus
polarizability -------------------across a period
decreases left to right across a period
Cations ---------- than their parent atom because ------
- are less polarizable
- they are smaller.
Anions ---------- than their parent atom because ---------------
- are more polarizable
- they are larger.
Covalent compounds exhibit ------------ of melting and boiling points!
a higher range
More bonds means...
more dispersion points
What increases with stronger intermolecular forces
- surface tension
- boiling point
- melting point
What decreases with stronger intermolecular forces
blank are moderate while blank are weak intermolecular forces
- weak-london dispersion, dipole dipole
- moderate- hydrogen bonding, ion dipole
- Exist within eahc molecule
- influence chemical properties of a substance
These forces exist between molecules.They influence the physical properties of the substance.
- down a group
- Size increases and the larger electron clouds are further from the nucleus
- left to right across a period
- increasing Z shrinks atomic size and holds the electronsmore tightly
Cations are more/less polarizable
less polarizable than their parent atom because they are smaller
Anions are more/less polarizable
more polarizable than their parent atoms because they are larger
The tendency of a liquid in a capillary tube or absorbent material to rise or fall as a result of surface tension.
the number of other particles each particle is in contact with is called its...
- coordination number
- -For Ions, it is the number of oppositely charged ions an ion is in contact with
higher coordination number means
more interaction and therefore stronger attractive forces holding the crystal together
if the unit cell is made of spherical particles
---- of each corner particle is in the cube
---- of each particle on the face is in the cube
-----of each particle on an edge is winin the cube
- 1/8 of each corner particle is in the cube
- 1/2 of each particle on the face is in the cube
- 1/4 of each particle on an edge is winin the cube
pressure exerted by a vapor in thermodynamic equilibrium with its condensed phases (solid or liquid) at a given temperature in a closed system.