The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
wrote in pastoral, romantic style
Idylls of the king?
- about king arthur legend
- about a gigantic book
- very idealistic interpretation
The Lady of Shallott?
- poem has refrain
- she is an artist who weaves a tapestry, she cant look out the window so she looks at reflection in the mirror
- *isnt looking at life head on, looks at it 2nd hand
- She gets tired of living her life this way and tries to experiance life herself and break out of artist world
- *she cant cope with reality and should stay in her own world
- -when she leaves tower, she ends up dying
what poem is a dramatic monologue?
ulysses by tennyson
gets personality of speaker
- talks about life as old man
- **wants to live life to the fullest, dont waste your life by sitting and doing nothing
- his body may be weak, but he still has the heart to push on
- ***positive attitude towards life
Ulysses greek name?
example of elegy?
- written for Arthur Henry W
- *poem is scenes of ups and downs of him trying to reconcile his life to his friends death
pt. 27 in memoriam?
- doesnt envy bird because its in a cage, while he is free
- *he can think, while beast goes by instinct
pt. 54 in memoriam?
trust that bad things happen for a reason and good will come out of it
pt. 130 in memoriam?
- just because he's not there doesnt mean he loves him less
- **hes always with him
which poem was important to tennysone?
Crossing the bar
Crossing the bar?
go out to open sea : him dying and going up to heaven
which poem is at the end of all of tennyson's anthologies?
crossing the bar