SOC305 - Criminology and Post Colonialism
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the key points in the research of over incarceration? /3
- What can be done?
- Answer: Make the system
- aren't correct; just execution
Culture of violence
- Anomie, social disorganization,
- “code of the street”
Race and Punishment
- More humane punishment (part of the enlightenment
- Connected to controlling racialized population
- State sanctioned lynching
A reaction to illegal lynching
How are colonialism and liberalism tied together /2
- ○ People often travel to different location to help
- ○ While things happening within society are ignored
- ○ Tie is embedded in system problems are happening in other societies, not ours
What does Torpel mean by a culture of deprivation?
○ Talking about particular race being poor might be well intention but re-inscribes notion of inferiority
○ Well-intentioned research (i.e. Torpel can re-inscribe)
What is the state of exception?
Frees government/sovereignty from normal legal restraints that would normally apply
We can punish certain people
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview