The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Where did Edward go to exile in 1470?
During Henry VI's short reign, where was England at war with? Why, and also why was this unpopular?
- At war with Burgundy, because Warwick & MofA accepted support of Louis XI on condition that they would join him in war with Burgundy. Feb 1471 - H's government went to war with Burgundy, Edward's ally.
- Horrified English merchants because this would close off markets for England's woolen cloth.
- Also meant Burgundy supported Edward with 50,000 crowns.
- Also Henry's government went to war with Burgundy without consent of Parliament.
- There was every chance that they would support Edward when he returned to England.
When did Edward land in England? What did Clarence do?
- March 1471
- Clarence, with an army of 12,000, declared his support for Edward, and he forgave him for his former treachery!
When did Edward reach London, and what did the Londoners do?
- April 1471
- Londoners opened the gates for Edward and were welcomed into the capital.
When was the Battle of Barnet and what happened?
- April 1471
- Warwick defeated even though he had the larger army.
- Warwick was killed.
When was the Battle of Tewkesbury? Results?
- May 1471
- Edward fort the remaining Lancastrians who were raising the army, eg. MofA, Prince Edward, Jasper Tudor.
- Edward once again victorious.
- Prince Edward and many other Lancastrians, (eg. Edmund & John Beaufort killed)
- That night, Henry VI was killed in the Tower.
- Jasper and Henry Tudor managed to flee to France.