SOC305 - Expertss
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
According to Cole, how did fingerprinting become impervious to questions? 5/6
- [experts]Manage the visible
- Gives the layperson something to see (actual fingerprint of suspect)
- [experts] Maintain authority
- Over analysis and presentation of FP
- Over identity and nature of FP - using 12 pt identity system
Real skill = consistency
- Never see a expert defense to argue against prosecutor expert
- 'we all experts b/c we agree'
- Blame attribution
- Any inconsistencies that emerge are due to individual fallacies (individual FPE)
- Evidence is there (can't be wrong), but it’s the individual who is there to interpret it (can be wrong)
Visible yet, invisible
- Scientist, yet technician
- Able todraw on either at certain times
How would a sociological and psychological expert testify during a Battered Women's Syndrome defence?
○ Sociological expert: women dependent on other; women property of other
- ○ Psychological expert: women had to respond to immediate threat of "I'm gonna kill you when I get back"
- Cyclical pattern of mixed psych emotions
What were some of the things Dr Charles smith did as exposed in the Groudge Report
–Didn't acknowledge limits
- •Did not present a balanced view or
- contrary evidence
–False and misleading statements
How does Kuhn view scientific theory evolution /4
- Paradigm shifts
- A history of science
- Pre-paradigm phase
- Normal science
- Revolutionary science
- Paradigm shift can't disprove previous
- theory, but it’s a NEW/DIFFERENT LANGUAGE
- Scientific revolution comes with cutting edge
- people gain more footing
What are some of the assumptions of public criminology
Assumes an uneducated mass
- outside of criminological circles are 'stupid'
- struggle between experts and public
How does Wacquant view public criminology?
- Struggle is a sherade
- Reflexivity - institutional setting (university setting)
- How does institution produce knowledge
- Researching popular topic
- Popular $$-making topics
- Think-tanks and experts
- Provide selective magnifiers for people who fund research
- I want to be able to ask my own questions; we're just servicing other people
- - Only researching certain things b/c that’s where the money is
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview