BIO 371 E2 LAB 8
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
PLASMA MEMBRANE THICKNESS?
DEFINE OVERTON'S RULE
- demonstrated that the greater the lipid solubility of a compound, the greater its rate of penetration.
who proposed the fluid mosaic model?
singer and Nicholson 1972
INTEGRAL PROTEIN ARE ______, HAVING _______ ____ ATTACHED TO THEM.
- CHARBOHYDRATE CHAINS
WATER AND CELLS IN A TUBE.
WHAT IS THE SOLVANT?
WHAT IS THE SOLUTE?
- WATER IS THE SOLVENT
- PROTEINS, SUGARS ARE THE SOLUTE
DEFINE SOLUTE CONCENTRATION
the total number of dissolved particles per unit of volume solution
IF THE SOLUTE CONCENTRATION OUTSIDE THE CELL IS_______ then the inside_THE EXTERNAL SOLUTION IS DESCRIBED AS_____.
if a leaf is placed in a hypertonic sucrose solution what is the result
water will leave the cell by osmosis,plasmolysis will occur.
when a RBC is placed in a hypertonic salt solution what occurs?
Rbc's (erythrocytes) loses water, and shrinkage or cremation occurs.
True or false sodium fluoride penetrates human urethra sites so slowly that the rate can be considered negligible.
in a___________ salt solution, water enters the RBC. A volume increase of over 67% will cause what?
_______ generally penetrate by________ transport, where the driving force is the concentration gradient across the membrane.
generally the rate of penetration increases with what?
- Increasing lipid solubility of the permanents.
- molecular structure of the permanents is another significant factor in determining its rate of penetration. (Hydroxyl groups form hydrogen bonds with the water molecules).
- And the molecule size
A frequently used measure of lipid solubility is what?
- Easter/water partition coefficient.
- (Solubility in diethyl ether)/(solubility in water)
- remember that this also includes alcohols.
in the active transport study with the cells the substance to be transported is neutral red, a dye that is ______ in acidic solutions and______ in basic solutions.
TRUE OR FALSE
conditions inside living yeast cells are relatively acidic?
in the concentrations of sucrose is plasmolysis not observed? Observed?
- Not observed at .2 M
- observed at .6 M
- The cytoplasmic membrane surrounding the vacuole, separating the vacuolar contents from the cytoplasmin a cell.
WHEN YOU ADD THE .6M SUCROSE SOLUTION TO THE ELODEA LEAF WHAT HAPPENED AND WHY?
- THE SUCROSE SOLUTION WAS HYPERTONIC TO THE LEAF. (HYPERTONIC SOLUTION). IT WAS EXTENSIVE.
- INSIDE OF LEAF IS.3M SUCROSE NATURALLY.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview