- Description: Flumazenil is a benzodiazepine antagonist used to reverse the sedative, recall, and psychomotor effects of diazepam, midazolam, and the other benzodiazepines.
- Indications: Respiratory depression secondary to the benzodiazepines.
- Contraindications: Hypersensitivity to flumazenil or benzodiazepines; those patients who take medication for status epilepticus or seizures; seizure-prone patients during labor and delivery; tricyclic antidepressant overdose.
- Precautions: Hepatic impairment, elderly, pregnancy, nursing mothers, head injury, alcohol and drug dependency and physical dependence on benzodiazepines.
- Dosage/Route: 0.2 mg IV over 30 sec/min, up to 1 mg.