The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
formula for board feet
how long (running feet) x how wide (type of wood) / 12 so simplified: running feet x width / 12 * type of wood means if you are using 2x4 lumber, your wood width is 4.
how long the boards are end to end if you line them all up. get running feet by adding up the length of each piece of wood.
cut list for a 4x8 platform
- Rails: 2 @ 4'
- stiles: 2 @ 7'-9"
- toggles: 3 @ 3'- 9"
what increment are toggles placed on flats? what about platforms?
- every 4 ft on flats
- every 2 ft on platforms
what kind of wood is used to top a flat?
what type of wood are platforms made out of?
2 by 4
What type of wood are flats made out of?
1 by 4
what is 3/4" plywood used for?
what is the cut list for a 4 x 10 flat?
- rails: 2 @ 4' (rails are ALWAYS 4 ft on this test)
- stiles: 2 @ 9' - 10 1/2 "
- toggles: 2 @ 3'- 10 1/2" (this will ALWAYS be toggle measurement for flats)
what are the properties of light
- distribution (like angle, focus, hard/soft edge, etc)
2 types; Parallel- a bunch of wires connecting the lights Series- one wire connecting the lights
- also called Source four or ERS
- long ones with shutters
- has several lenses
- gobo can be used
- mounted far away from stage
- soft light
- no lenses
- colored gel
- mounted close to stage
- floodlight used to cover the stage in blue
- mounted close to stage
- short and square
- 1 lense soft light
controls the amount of electricity sent out
circuit (in a lighting system)
- pathway for electricity to flow
- outlet in the wall
- number that you plug the light into
- how the lightboard talks to the system
- controls the dimmer
- W is watts
- V is volts
- A is amps
- W= 120 * amps
3. 2 -fer
- 1. extention cord with a plug that you can plug into the light system (usually not Edison)
- 2. cord that is 5 feet or less
- 3. lets you plug 2 instruments into one
flow of electricity or power
how much wattage you are able to have on the dimmer
potential power and pressure
how bright something is
how much wattage you actually have on the dimmer
light pattern that you insert into an ERS it is a type of "color media"
colored plastic this is a type of "color media"
What is the difference between the line connector and the load connector?
- the load connector is the plug on the instrument (male plug)
- the line connect is the outlet in the wall pocket, connector strip, or on the back of the dimmer pack (female plug)
types of connectors used
- 20 amp stage pin (the square kind we use in Belk, 3 prongs)
- 20 amp twist lock (round kind with 3 prongs)
- 15 amp edison (normal plug)
what wire colors are hot, grounded and neutral?
- ground wire is green
- Neutral wire is white
- hot wire is black
soft patching- do it on the light board with the computer hard patching- physically plug the lights in
random patching info
- •contains one plug for every permanently installed stage circuit and one or more outlets for every dimmer.
- •A patch panel is installed when the lighting system contained a large number of stage circuits but only a few dimmers.
- electricity used with batteries
- electricity from the wall
- Clockwise current is positive, counter-clockwiseis negative
- theory of lighting plots to recreate 3:00pm
- 45° angles
- warm and cool lights
- Key light- brighter light, main source
- Fill light- filling in the shadows, lower light
color you cant mix
3 primary colors of light
- these 3 together create white light
3 primary colors (when painting etc)
- the amount of black or white in the color
- tint is adding white
- shade is adding black
amount of grey in the color
- pigment in paint
- mix all colors together and get black
mixing colors of light, creates white light
3 types of color
complementary colors are on opposite sides
3 basic components of paint
- Pigment- what gives paint its color (like berries or something)
- Vehicle- holds binder and pigment together (water/oil)
- binder- holds pigment to the surface of what you're painting (latex/vinal)
when mixing colors you should add the white into the dark color
- when mixing paint you should add the dark color into the white
how much paint should you use on your paintbrush?
dip the bristles 1/2 way into the paint
proper way to clean a brush
- with murphy oil soap
- use a wire brush
- rise it out until the water is clean
types of painting textures
- dry brushing (little paint on brush)
- spattering (splatter paint)
- lining (drawing lines)
- glazing (watery paint)
- stippleing (dab brush)
- scumble (criss cross different colors on top of each other)
- •Cable clamp
- –U-bolt, Saddle, Nuts
- –Never Saddle a Dead Horse: the live part is the part with tension
- Rating: ropes are rated by tensil strength
- Hemp: made of plants, pretty strong
- nylon: stretches a lot
- Wire: also airplane cable, strongest
- monofilament: fishing line! (spiderwire is black fishing line)