*focus on domestic violence*
increased levels of anxiety, depression, emotions (i.e. fear, anger, grief, shame, powerlessness), risk of suicide, risk-taking, truancy, early sexual activity, aggressive behavior and substance abuse.- problems in school, obedience, maintaining relationships- more lying and cheating in school
- Long-Term Effects:- Potential for boys to become abusers later in life
- - Increased likeliness that girls abused younger in life will tolderate abuse later in life.
- - Continuous depression (male and female) and low self-esteem from the female.
- - Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) - Roberts 2002
- -Rosenbaum and O'Leary: (1981) - on domestic violence research, male perpetrators are more likely to have come from homes that had a history of violence.
- *majority of this information is correlation studies it does not always follow that victims of violence will become perpetrators*
- Limitations: -data gathered from shelters (different types of violence and amount of violence) -removal from familiar surroundings may add trauma for children