The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 3 big ideas for Endocrine?
- Endocrine is a system of a complex relationships. Always support the whole as well as the parts.
- Respect the endocrine individuality of each person.
- Always address the foundations first.
5 classes of lipid and water soluble hormones & identify components of each?
- Lipid Soluble: Steroid hormones (derived from cholesterol); Thryoid hormones (iodine atoms + tyrosine)
- Water Soluble: Amines (modified amino acids); Peptides and Proteins (chains of amino acids); Eicosanoids (derived from
- fatty acids)
Describe how each of the foundations supports the Endocrine system.
- Digestion~ Nutrients can only be optimally assimilated from digestion working properly from north to south
- Mineral Balance ~Every endocrine organ has a particular mineral that on which it is particularly independent: Thyroid/Iodine, Prostate/Zinc, Pituitary/manganese, Pancreas/chromium, Gonads/selenium, Adrenals/copper.
- Fatty Acids ~ EFAs & other fats are critical to the entire endocrine system. The body cannot make hormones w/o fats. Endocrine factories are inside the cells and phospholipids in and out of the cell. A healthy cell membrane is also needed for the cellular/hormonal communication to take place.
- Hydration ~ supports the efficient transport of hormones throughout the body. Hydration ensures proper viscosity of the blood and interstitial fluids.
- Blood Sugar Regulation: any attempt to normalize hormonal imbalances is futile until blood sugar/adrenal issues are addressed.
Describe how a chronic stress response degrades the endocrine system.
Stress, toxins, poor diet, poor digestion, mineral deficiencies, EFA deficiencies, dehydration, blood sugar imbalances, adrenals, pituitary, thyroid, sex hormones.
Describe two ways in which HRT or BHRT can exacerbate endocrine problems.