Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
law of definite proportions
specific compound always contains same elements in definite proportions by mass
relative atomic mass
- u <-- unit
- mass of an element tt would react w/ fixed mass of standard element
- c-12, 1/12 mass the mass of a carbon 12 isotope as one unified atomic mass unit
- measured mass of all other atoms relative to this
% of an isotope in a sample of element
avaerage atomic mass
sum of (% abundance of isotope x mass isotope)
grouping used for molecules/atoms so tt we can deal w/ them easier
- amount we group atoms in
- mass in g/mol o one mole o substance
- atomic mass of periodic table
mass o element in compound, expressed as percent o total mass o compound
relative mass o each element in compound
lowest whole #ratio o elements in compound , simplest ratio
shows number o atoms o each element tt make up molecule or formula
study o relative quantities o reactants and products in chemical reaction
- relationship between moles in a balanced chemical equation
- can only compare in molc or moles
reactant completed consumed in chemical reaction
reactant tt is present in more than required amount for complete reaction
an excess of how much should be used to ensure limiting reagent is completely used?
10% of mol
when determining limiting reagent, what must you always do?
always multiply moles out to find the moles of product for each reactant
amount of product obtained in chemical reaction
amount o product that we predict will be obtained
amount o product that is actually obtained at end o experiment
reasons why reactions don't yield 100%?
- side reactions
- impurities in reagents
- not ideal conditions for reaction
- experimental procedures
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview